Best Storage and Packing Tips: To Avoid Appearing on Storage Wars
Storage units are not designed to become props in Storage Wars’ reality-TV episodes, but without proper packing or knowledge, many (unpaid) units do feature on the show. From people who downsized their homes, those who are actively moving, or those with too much ‘stuff,’ there are many uses and benefits to storage units.
How much do storage units cost?
Storage units can solve many needs, and at Dose Moving, you can expect:
- Each storage unit at Dose Moving is $110/ month. Monthly rentals are set up on recurring credit card payments, so you’ll never have to worry about lapsing payments.
- Rent at Dose Moving is month to month with no contract. This allows flexibility as your storage needs change.
- All items are blanketed and shrink-wrapped for protection while in the storage vaults – at no additional cost.
- Each vault is 5x6x7ft and holds about a bedroom’s worth of items. A ‘vault’ has a wooden pallet base that allows a forklift to lift and maneuver easily and safely around the facility.
- Dose Moving uses a unique and patented racking system for single or oversized items. Dose Moving can accommodate virtually any oversized item if you only need to store one large item.
- Individual items are charged $55/month rent. These items are kept on the shelving and racking system and can be accessed within the 24-hour notice.
- 24-hour security and night patrol can give you peace of mind over the security of your belongings
- Storage units are sealed and secured with clamps, a detailed inventory sheet is kept inside each vault, and Dose Moving’s digital catalog system. This security measure limits the loss of items and possessions within the facility.
How do you efficiently pack a storage unit?
There are a few key rules to understand before you pack your storage unit (to avoid it becoming that unit in Storage Wars)
- When you pack your storage unit, create a center aisle that spans the length of the unit – this will create easy access to all your items, not just the first row of boxes.
- Store items you’ll need most often at the front of the unit – this will save time as well as unnecessary messes created trying to get to the right box
- Never store these in your unit: animals, perishables, liquids, explosives, flammables, fuels, toxic materials, or any other items that need a controlled environment.
- Get a safe, sturdy, and high-quality lock.
How can I save on storage costs?
Storage units can be a large long-term expense, but there are a few tricks to keep in mind to reduce your storage needs and storage costs.
- Make the most of the space you have – Dose Moving’s vaults are quite small, so being creative and conscious in organizing items can maximize the cost-efficiency of the space.
- Don’t store unnecessary items – often, we have under-used items that we move from one home to another, but these things (old tools and Lawnmowers, clothes, appliances, etc.) should be sold or donated. Selling inessential items will also earn you extra cash to pay off some of the storage rent.
- Avoid long leases on storage spaces – your needs can change quickly, and long-term leases can trap you into paying for a space you no longer use. Fortunately, Dose Moving has no contracts, and all units are rented monthly.
While they do hold all your things, a storage unit is not your home garage. It’s a public facility with many other units and customers, so you must know your safety and responsibilities. Instead of the chaos and disorganization we expect from a Storage Wars episode, Dose Moving offers secure, clean, and customized storage solutions to fit many of your needs.
About Dose Moving
Dose Moving and Storage started in a garage in 2014. With a Ford pickup truck and a rented Uhaul trailer, Dose made deliveries for consignment stores. One of the customers was so happy with her delivery that she asked if we would move her. We said sure! From that day forward, we were in the moving business.
Dose quickly decided that they would take everything that was wrong with the moving industry and change it. Dose patented our moving and wrapping techniques so that nothing would get damaged. Dose changed the pricing structure so that all rates were transparent and honest with no hidden or extra fees. Dose changed the hiring process and culture of the moving industry by paying our employees more than any other moving company. Dose only hires non-smokers and our employees must pass a federal background check and drug test.
Dose has 4 Locations: Dose Moving and Storage in Phoenix Arizona, Dose Moving and Storage in Leesburg Virginia, Dose Moving and Storage in Mesa Arizona, Dose Moving and Storage in Ashburn Virginia.